Hobby Master 1-72 Ground Power
HG3814 M20 Armored Utility Car 807th Tank Destroyer Bttn., B Co., 1st Platoon, Germany 1945
The M20 Armored Utility Car was built by Ford and served mostly as a command and control
vehicle. The M8 turret was removed and had a .50 cal heavy machine mounted on a ring that
was lower than a turret. The open top allowed for more room inside and held long range radios
and a bazooka as well as some small arms. Land mines were carried on the outside and could be
quickly deployed. The M20 lighter and faster than the M8 and was sometimes used as an APC.
Ford manufactured 3,680 M20s.
The 807th TDB was formed in March 1942 and arrived at Utah Beach on September 18, 1944.
After fighting in the Saarlautern area of western Germany the unit moved north to take part in the
capture and protection of bridges crossing the Rhine. In January 1945 the Germans launched
their last major offensive, “Operation Nordwind” that was supposed to smash through allied
forces and destroy the U.S. 7th Army. The offensive began December 31, 1944 and lasted until
January 25, 1945.
Specifications Ford M20 6X6 Armored Utility Car
Country of origin – USA
Crew – 2 + 4 passengers
Engine - Hercules JXD 6 cyl, gasoline / 86 hp
Speed – 56 mph
Range – 250 miles
Fording depth – 2ft 8in
Weight – 12,250 lbs
Length – 16 ft, 5 in
Width – 8 ft, 4 in
Height – 7 ft 6 in
1 X 0.50 caliber M2 machine gun
1 X Bazooka