Hobby Master 1-72 Ground Power
HG3423 M10 Tank Destroyer 601st Tank Destroyer Bttn., Volturno River, 1943

In 1943 the US introduced the M10 as a SP anti-tank gun using the carriage of the M4 tank and a 3-inch M7 AA Gun. The British took their M10s and exchanged the 3-inch gun for the larger 17-pdr that had much better stopping power against the Panther and Tigers. They added some armor to the turret and named it Achilles. The first modified tanks went into service in 1944 and by the end of WWII 1,100 of the 1,650 M10s the British received under the Lend Lease Program became known as Achilles.

The 601st Tank Destroyer Battalion was formed in December 1941 and first deployed to Europe in 1942. In July 1943 the 601st TDB was re-equipped with the M10. After capturing Naples the 5th Army reached the Volturno River. This was a German defensive line meant to act as a delaying tactic to give German forces a chance to withdraw to their next defensive line. With the M10 dug in to protect the frontal armor they acted as artillery against the German forces across the river and helped drive the enemy back toward Rome.

Specifications M10 Tank Destroyer
Country of Origin: USA
Entered Service in: 1942
Crew: 5 (Commander, 3x gun crew, driver)
Dimensions
Height: 2.57 m (8.43 ft) Length: 6.83 m (22.41 ft) (w/ gun) - 5.97 m (19.6 ft) (w/o gun) Width: 3.05 m (10 ft)
Weight: 29.6 tonnes
Power/weight: 12.5 hp/tonne
Armour
Hull, up to 51 mm Turret, up to 57 mm
Armament
Main Armament: M7 3-inch "76.2 mm" Gun - 54 rounds
Secondary Armament: .50 caliber M2 Machine Gun - 300 rounds
Power plant
General Motors Twin Diesel 6-71375 hp (276 kW)
Suspension: vertical volute spring
Performance
Road Speed: 51 km/h (32 mph) Range: 300 km (186 miles)