Hobby Master 1-72 Air Power
HA5507 P-40N Kittyhawk FX-760, 112 Squadron, RAF, 1944
The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk first flew in 1938 as a modification of the Curtiss P-36 Hawk.
Warhawk was the official U.S. designation while the name Tomahawk was used by the
British Commonwealth and Soviet forces for the P-40B and C and Kittyhawk for P-40Ds
and later variants. The P-40 was first used by British squadrons in North Africa and the
Middle East in 1941. The P-40 lacked a two-speed supercharger making them inferior
to German aircraft but was an adequate fighter in low altitude combat zones. Almost
12,000 P-40s were produced.
P-40N Kittyhawk c/n 9150M serial 43-23639 was delivered to the RAF and at first
became FX760 GAT and later GA? and piloted by Fl/Lt Edward Ross who had the ?
added. The aircraft was shot down by flak on August 21, 1944. The aircraft on display
at the RAF Museum Hendon isn’t the original GA?, it is a composite of several aircraft
that have been assembled to make one P-40N and painted to represent GA?. The
fuselage is from P-40N 42-106101 built for the RAAF with serial A29-556.
Span: 37 ft. 4 in.
Length: 31 ft. 9 in.
Height: 12 ft. 4 in.
Weight: 9,100 lbs. loaded
Armament: Six .50-cal. machine guns; 700 lbs. of bombs externally
Engine: Allison V-1710 of 1,150 hp.
Maximum speed: 362 mph.
Cruising speed: 235 mph.
Range: 850 miles
Ceiling: 30,000 ft.