Hobby Master 1-72 Air Power
HA3112 F-102 Delta Dagger 0-61409, Florida ANG, 1960s

The Convair F-102 Delta Dagger was designed to be an interceptor aircraft and act as the core of USAF air defenses in the late 1950s. The F-102 first appeared in service in 1956 with the task to intercept Soviet bombers. The official name for the F-102 was “Delta Dagger” but the most common term used was “Deuce”. There was 889 F-102As manufactured when production ended in September 1958.

On July1, 1956 the 159th FIS expanded to a group level and became the flying squadron of the 125th FIG of the National Guard Bureau. In 1960 the 159th FIS was re-equipped from F-86 Sabres to the F-102 Delta Dagger. In 1968 the 125th FIG was relocated from Imeson Airport to the new Jacksonville International Airport where the F-102 flew until 1974 and replaced by the F-106 Delta Dart. F-102 0-61409 first belonged to the 61st FIS and then flew with ANG FIS units 157th, 146th, 159th and 179th before going to AMARC in 1970.

Specifications Convair (F-102A) Delta Dagger “Deuce”
Role - Supersonic All-Weather, delta wing interceptor
Crew – 1 pilot
Number Produced – 889
Dimensions
Length – 68 ft 4 in (20.83 m) Wingspan – 38 ft 1 in (11.61 m) Height – 21 ft 2 in (6.45 m)
Weight
Empty – 19,350 lb 8,777 kg) Loaded – 24,500 lb (11,100 kg) Maximum Takeoff – 31,500 lb (14,300 kg)
Powerplant – 1 x Pratt & Whitney J57-P-25 afterburning turbojet Thrust Dry – 11,700 lbf (8,777 kg) With Afterburner – 17,200 lbf (76.5 kN) Fuel Internal – 1.085 US gal (4,107 l) External – 2 x 215 US gal (815 l) drop tanks
Performance
Maximum Speed – Mach 1.25 (825 mph, 1,304 km/h) @ 40,000 ft (12,190 m) Service Ceiling – 53,400 ft (16,300 m) ROC – 13,000 ft/min (66 m/s) Range – 1,350 nm (2,175 km)
Armament
Rockets – 24 x 2.75 in (70 mm) FFAR (Folding Fin Aerial Rocket) unguided rockets in missile bay doors Missiles AIM-4 Falcon air-to-air AIM-26 Falcon with conventional or nuclear warhead Missiles were contained in 3 bays inside the aircraft belly
Avionics – MG-10 fire control system designed by Hughes Aircraft Company